"Magnificent" was how Yolanda Correa's performance in the title role of Liam Scarlett's new The Firebird, created for her in autumn 2013, was described. Since arriving at the Norwegian National Ballet in autumn 2010, she has enchanted Norwegian audiences with strong interpretations of roles from the classical repertoire: the Snow Queen, the Sugar Plum Fairy and Clara in The Nutcracker, Kitri in Nurejev's Don Quixote, Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, Tatiana in Cranko's Onegin, Aurora in Sleeping Beauty, the title role in MacMillans Manon and the demanding dual role of Odette and Odile in Swan Lake.
But she has also danced leading roles in modern works such as Duato's Multiplicity – Forms of Silence and Emptiness, Forsythe's Steptext and Kylián's Wings of Wax, Gods and Dogs, Symphony of Psalms and Stepping Stones. She took the leading roles in Tetley's Voluntaries and Balanchine's Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2, and in autumn 2013 she also danced the principal role in Scarlett's Vespertine.
Originally from Cuba, Yolanda Correa studied at the Vocational School of Art in Holguín and at the Cuban National Ballet School in Havana. Before coming to Oslo, she danced with the Cuban National Ballet, where she was given the highest accolade of primera bailarina. She won the International Meetings of Ballet Academies Contest in 1999, and was awarded the prestigious Positano Prize in 2012 for best female newcomer on the international dance scene. Correa is appearing as a guest star with several companies and has danced on many prominent international stages.
- Future Memories – an evening with Jiří Kylián
- Julie in Romeo and Juliet
- Carmen in Carmen - a ballet in three acts
- Askepott in Cinderella
- Without Words in Dream Play
- Lescauts elskerinne in Manon
- Manon in Manon
- Steptext in Back to the Future
- Sukkerfeen in The Nutcracker
- Same Difference in AN EVENING WITH LEÓN & LIGHTFOOT
- Agon in An evening with Balanchine
- Klara in The Nutcracker
- Fru Alving in IBSEN’S GHOSTS
- Carmen in Carmen – a ballet by Liam Scarlett
- Epic Short in Sleepless beauty
- Kitri in Don Quixote
- Kitri in Don Quixote
- A Night Creature, Insect Like in Rooms by Alexander Ekman
Artikler og Pressemeldinger
Omtale i Financial Times: In the World of Fokine, Operaen, Oslo – review.Tuesday, October 1, 2013Yolanda Correa’s Firebird exults in her power.Read more