Since joining The Norwegian National Ballet in 2012, American ballet dancer Garrett Smith has danced prominent parts in Duato's Multiplicity – Forms of Silence and Emptiness, Kylián's Gods and Dogs and Stepping Stones, and Walerski's Chamber. In autumn 2013 he danced in Scarlett's new Firebird and Vespertine and Øyen's Petrushka, in addition to Forsythe's Steptext. In spring 2014 he dances the role of Count Gremin in Onegin.
Smith began his ballet training in his home state of Utah. At a young age, he won an award from Mikhail Baryshnikov and was named a Presidential Scholar in the Arts. He trained at the Houston Ballet Academy and danced in the pre-professional company Houston Ballet II from 2007, until joining the Houston Ballet in 2009, dancing roles such as Hortensio in Cranko's The Taming of the Shrew and Puss in Boots in Stevenson's Sleeping Beauty. Elo and Fonte created roles for him, and he also worked with choreographers such as Kylián, Duato, Walerski, Welch and Bruce.
Since 2007 Smith has also worked as a choreographer. He has created several works for Houston Ballet I and II and two works for The Norwegian National Ballet. In 2009 he was awarded a fellowship by the New York Choreographic Institute.
- Gremin in Onegin
- Future Memories – an evening with Jiří Kylián
- Paris in Romeo and Juliet
- Orfeus og Evrydike in Orpheus and Eurydice
- Agon in An evening with Balanchine
- Theme and Variations in An evening with Balanchine
- Gjester in The Nutcracker
- Soldater in The Nutcracker
- Spansk par in The Nutcracker
- Vals par in The Nutcracker
- Fandango in Don Quixote
- Matadorer in Don Quixote
- Sigøynergutter / 7 Uhyrer in Don Quixote
- Ralph, The Dirty Guy jerking off under a blanket in Rooms by Alexander Ekman
- Agon Pas de deux in An evening with Balanchine
- Theme and Variations Demi solo menn in An evening with Balanchine
- 11 Menn in Hedda Gabler
- Petite Mort in Kylian: Black & White
- Tiger Lily in An Evening with Kylián, Forsythe and Øyen
Artikler og Pressemeldinger
IntervjuWednesday, September 4, 2013Les intervju med Garrett Smith i Houston Culture MapRead more