Award-winning dancer Eugenie Skilnand began her career with The Norwegian National Ballet as an apprentice in 1998, became a full member of the company in 2000 and was appointed Principal Dancer in 2011. That same year, she won the Rolf Gammleng Dance Award, after which she won both the Wilhelmsen Award and the Critics' Award. The latter was awarded for her interpretation of the role of Marie in Spuck's ballet, Woyzeck, a role created specifically for her. «Eugenie Skilnand created a fantastic character with a vulnerability and performance so gripping that it brought one to tears», wrote the jury.
Skilnand has danced classical principal roles as Aurora in Sleeping Beauty, Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, the title role in Giselle and Cinderella, and the Sugar Plum Fairy in The Nutcracker. She has starred in Duato's White Darkness, in Shoot the Moon by Lightfoot and León, and as Blanche in Neumeier's A Streetcar Named Desire – for which she was also nominated for the Critics' Award.
In 2017 she co-created her own choreography for the part as Thea Elvsted in Moum Aunes acclaimed Hedda Gabler.
She has danced solos in various ballets by Balanchine (such as Agon, Apollo and Symphony in C), Forsythe (Workwithinwork and The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude) and Kylián (including Bella Figura and Symphony of Psalms). Skilnand has also had roles created for her in Rushton's On the Adjacent Sides, Strømgren's Suite, Bjørnsgaard's Standard Arabesque and Dawson's dancingmadlybackwards.
Skilnand was born in Oslo and trained at The Norwegian National Ballet School, The Norwegian National Academy of Dance and the School of American Ballet in New York.
- Tatjana in Onegin
- Sabine in Kylián: Last Touch First
- Future Memories – an evening with Jiří Kylián
- Julie in Romeo and Juliet
- Carmen in Carmen - a ballet in three acts
- Micaela in Carmen - a ballet in three acts
- Askepott in Cinderella
- Dream Play in Dream Play
- Without Words in Dream Play
- Manon in Manon
- Giselle in Giselle
- Blomsterfe in The Nutcracker
- Anna Karenina in Anna Karenina
- No More Play in AN EVENING WITH JIŘÍ KYLIÁN: BLACK & WHITE
- Sweet Dreams in AN EVENING WITH JIŘÍ KYLIÁN: BLACK & WHITE
- Manon - Soverom Pas de deux in A GALA PERFORMANCE FROM THE NORWEGIAN NATIONAL BALLET
- Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux in An evening with Balanchine
- Thea Elvsted in Hedda Gabler
- Tatjana in Onegin
- In The Middle Somewhat Elevated in An Evening with Kylián, Forsythe and Øyen
- In The Middle Somewhat In The Middle Somewhat Elevated in An Evening with Kylián, Forsythe and Øyen
- Tiger Lily in An Evening with Kylián, Forsythe and Øyen
- Utkanten in Jo Strømgren: Hunger and The Outskirts
- Pas de Trois in Swan Lake
- Romeo og Julie Balkong Pas de deux in Up close with the Norwegian National Ballet
Artikler og Pressemeldinger
Eugenie Skilnand intervjuet på Dagsrevyen om å danse hovedrollen i Anna KareninaThursday, February 18, 2016Dagrevyen intervjuer Eugenie Skilnand i forbindelse med Anna KareninaRead more
Sjå ei av Noregs beste dansarinner førebu seg til ballettpremiereSaturday, September 24, 2011Laurdag kveld er det urpremiere på balletten «Woyzeck» på Hovedscenen i Den Norske Opera & Ballett. Sjå Eugenie Skilnand førebu seg til den kvinnelege hovudrolla som Marie i denne videoen!Read more
Dansekritikerprisen 2011/2012 til Eugenie SkilnandThursday, December 27, 2012Dansekritikerprisen 2011/2012 går til Eugenie Skilnand for tolkningen av Marie i balletten Woyzeck av koreografen Christian Spuck.Read more